Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Maybe I should retitled this blog "One Small Asthmatic Step Towards a marathon"

After running and enjoying one 1/2 marathon I got hooked. I like the distance and it doesn't seem to be too much for my asthma. I don't know how that 20mile wall will feel on my asthma so I'm a little intimidated by the marathon thing.

Used to be I wanted to run a marathon before I turned 40. Now, as far as the turning 40 thing: I've been there done that. Still didn't get the marathon under my belt. I was diagnosed with asthma in 2006 and pulled a hamstring in 2007 so my 1/2 marathon training got derailed a bit. My first 1/2 was completed just after the 40 year mark. Successfully, and happily. It was a great run. But, all this running has highlighted an increased level of asthma, and an increased dependency on pharmaceuticals. Neither of which I am happy about.

Now, I come to find out that the one pharmaceutical that seems to be helping, Advair Diskus, has a dark side. I thought my mild heart burn was an annoying side effect, but some people have died over their side effects to Advair. Yikes. After reading the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference) I will definitely get the Peak Flow Meter out and start tracking that. I can add a column or two to my running spread sheet and keep track of my asthma right there. When I figure out how to add the spreadsheet I will update the blog.

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment